Science Lesson Plan 

DRAFT LESSON PLAN (REVISED 2021)

Candidate’s name: Lisa Seymour                                                           

Grade/Class/Subject:K/1/ScienceSchool:Cassie Hall
Date:March 1st, 2023Allotted Time:50 mins. 1:00 – 1:50 pm
Topic/Title:Matter/Introduction to the 3 States of Matter
  1. LESSON ORIENTATION

Key resources: Instructional Design Map

Briefly, describe purpose of lesson, and anything else to note about the context of lesson, students, or class, e.g., emergent learning needs being met at this time, elements of focus or emphasis, special occasions or school events.
Students will begin to explore the three states of matter, and that matter is everything around us.
  • CORE COMPETENCIES

Key resources: https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca/competencies

Core /Sub-Core Competencies 
(check all that apply):
Describe briefly how you intend to embed Core Competencies in your lesson, or the role that they have in your lesson.
  COMMUNICATION – Communicating  COMMUNICATION – Collaborating   THINKING – Creative Thinking  THINKING – Critical Thinking  THINKING – Reflective Thinking  PERSONAL AND SOCIAL – Personal Awareness and Responsibility  PERSONAL AND SOCIAL – Positive Personal and Cultural Identity   PERSONAL AND SOCIAL – Social Awareness and ResponsibilityStudents will reflect on the information they receive through observation, experience, and other forms of communication to solve problems, design products, understand events, and address issues. Critical thinker uses their ideas, experiences, and reflections to set goals, make judgments, and refine their thinking.
  • INDIGENOUS WORLDVIEWS AND PERSPECTIVES

Key resources: First Peoples Principles of Learning (FPPL); Aboriginal Worldviews and Perspectives in the Classroom

FPPL to be included in this lesson 
(check all that apply):
How will you embed Indigenous worldviews, perspectives, or FPPL in the lesson?
 Learning ultimately supports the well-being of the self, the family, the community, the land, the spirits, and the ancestors.  Learning is holistic, reflexive, reflective, experiential, and relational (focused on connectedness, on reciprocal relationships, and a sense of place).  Learning involves recognizing the consequences of one’s actions. Learning involves generational roles and responsibilities. Learning recognizes the role of Indigenous knowledge. Learning is embedded in memory, history, and story. Learning involves patience and time.  Learning requires exploration of one’s identity. Learning involves recognizing that some knowledge is sacred and only shared with permission and/or in certain situations.By understanding that every student is different and allowing time for students to reflect and think and do their work.
  • BIG IDEAS

Key resources: https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca/ (choose course under Curriculum, match lesson to one or more Big Ideas)

What are students expected to understand? How is this lesson connected to Big Idea/s or an essential question?
 Humans interact with matter every day through familiar materials.
  • LEARNING STANDARDS/INTENTIONS

Key resources:  https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca/ (choose course under Curriculum) 

Curricular Competencies:What are students expected to do? Content:What are students expected to learn?
Demonstrate curiosity and a sense of wonder about the world. Observe objects and events in familiar contexts.Properties of familiar materials. Is the matter soft, hard, fuzzy, or flexible? What type of material is it, glass, metal, wood, or water?
  • ASSESSMENT PLAN

Key resources: Instructional Design Map and https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca/classroom-assessment

How will students demonstrate their learning or achieve their learning intentions? How will the evidence be documented and shared? Mention any opportunities for feedback, self-assessment, peer assessment and teacher assessment. What tools, structures, or rubrics will you use to assess student learning (e.g., Performance Standard Quick Scale)? Will the assessments be formative, summative, or both?
Students will be assessed formatively, demonstrating their understanding through conversation and worksheets.
  • DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS

Key resources: Instructional Design Map

Make brief notes to indicate how the lesson will meet needs of your students for: differentiation, especially for known exceptionalities, learning differences or barriers, and language abilities; inclusion of diverse needs, interests, cultural safety and relevance; higher order thinkingmotivations and specific adaptations or modifications for identified students or behavioral challenges. Mention any other design notes of importance, e.g., cross-curricular connections, organization or management strategies you plan to use, extensions for students that need or want a challenge.
Allowing students time and re-explaining instructions or methods as needed. Instead of asking students questions to individually answer at the carpet ask a question and raise a hand if agreed, keep down if they don’t for those who aren’t fully speaking yet. 
Required preparation: Mention briefly the resources, material, or technology you need to have ready, or special tasks to do before the lesson starts, e.g., rearrange desks, book a room or equipment.
I will provide the crayons/markers/pencil crayons, worksheets for the students as well as the videos and balloons filled with 3 states of matter. 
  • LESSON OUTLINE
Instructional StepsStudent Does/Teacher Does (learning activities to target learning intentions)Pacing
OPENING:e.g., greeting students, sharing intentions, look back at what was learned, look ahead to what will be learning, use of a hook, motivator, or other introduction to engage students and activate thinking and prior knowledge·  I will tell the students that today we are going to be learning about matter.·  I will ask “Does anyone know what matter is?”·  I will get students to raise their hands to take a guess.·  Then I will tell them that matter is everything around us, it has weight and takes up space, and matter can be touched or held.  5 mins.
BODY:· Best order of activities to maximize learning — each task moves students towards learning intentions· Students are interacting with new ideas, actively constructing knowledge and understanding, and given opportunities to practice, apply, or share learning, ask questions and get feedback· Teacher uses learning resources and strategic opportunities for guided practice, direct instruction, and/or modelling· Can include: transitions, sample questions, student choices, assessment notes (formative or otherwise), and other applications of design considerations·  To get the students interested and thinking I will be playing a fun short video on the 3 states of matter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ4WduVp9k4&t=165s·  After the video is done, I will pause it and ask the students (Ms. D’s class and mine) “what are the 3 states of matter?”·  I will choose students to answer who are raising their hands.·  I will also ask, what are some examples of solid matter? I.e., fruit, crayons, snowman.·  I will ask, what are some examples of liquid matter? I.e., water, soup, paint.·  I will ask, what are some examples of gas matter? (This can be a tricky one) I.e., air, wind, steam.·  I will ask can matter be touched? Can matter be invisible? Is everything a type of matter?·  Next, I will show the students 3 balloons, one will be filled with air, one with water, and one with pom poms. Â·  I will tell the students that I am going to pass the balloons around so they each get a turn to feel and guess what matter it is filled with.·  After everyone gets a turn to hold each balloon, I will hold one at a time and get students to raise their hand if they think it is filled with ___ matter.·  Next, I will play a video where students can move and dance along to a song and examples of the 3 states of matter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IW8E1YR0kE·  For the activity students will do, I will get them to do a worksheet. I will demonstrate the first question of the sheet to the class then get them to find a seat at the table and get students to grab a pencil and colours.40 mins.
CLOSING:· Closure tasks or plans to gather, solidify, deepen or reflect on the learning· Review or summary if applicable· anticipate what’s next in learning· â€śhousekeeping” items (e.g., due dates, next day requirements·  Let students know how much time is left in class.·  Ask if students have any questions before we wrap up. Â·  Let students know that if they aren’t finished colouring their page, they can finish colouring it during their free time. 5 mins.
  • REFLECTION (anticipate if possible)
·  Did any reflection in learning occur, e.g., that shifted the lesson in progress?·  What went well in the lesson (reflection on learning)?·  What would you revise if you taught the lesson again?·  How do the lesson and learners inform you about necessary next steps? Â·  Comment on any ways you modelled and acted within the Professional Standards of BC Educators and BCTF Code of Ethics?·  If this lesson is being observed, do you have a specific observation focus in mind?
Reflection after the lesson: The lesson was a hit with the students! They really enjoyed being able to interact with the balloons, watch the videos played and move/dance along with them. Introducing the topic then watching the video then having something physical for the students to hold that we learned about seemed to help really solidify what matter is, the types and some examples. The worksheet was a hit with the students as well, the majority of them were asking if there was another worksheet they could do and asking if they could take it home with them. I was thankful for the extra adult help (myself, my coaching teacher, the K/1 teacher, and an EA), I was able to have one adult per table and have myself as a floater so I could go around and see how each table was doing. One major thing I should have done, since we combine our class with the Kindergarten/Grade 1 class from across the hall, was to get everyone in a circle or row. That way I would’ve been able to track easily who has had a turn with which balloon and would assure students that they would get a turn. Near the beginning, I did say out loud that I should have put the students in a circle first. In hindsight, I should have just paused the activity then and there and put the students in a circle. 

ADST Lesson Plan

DRAFT LESSON PLAN (REVISED 2021)

Candidate’s name: Lisa Seymour                                                           

Grade/Class/Subject:K/ADSTSchool:Cassie Hall
Date:March 8th, 2023Allotted Time:30 mins. 1:20 – 1:50 pm
Topic/Title:ADST
  1. LESSON ORIENTATION

Key resources: Instructional Design Map

Focus on this lesson for kindergarten is to encourage creativity and practice fine motor skills as they build.
  • CORE COMPETENCIES

Core /Sub-Core Competencies 
(check all that apply):
  COMMUNICATION – Communicating  COMMUNICATION – Collaborating   THINKING – Creative Thinking  THINKING – Critical Thinking  THINKING – Reflective Thinking  PERSONAL AND SOCIAL – Personal Awareness and Responsibility  PERSONAL AND SOCIAL – Positive Personal and Cultural Identity   PERSONAL AND SOCIAL – Social Awareness and ResponsibilityStudents will use creative thinking which involves the generation of ideas and concepts that are novel and innovative in the context in which they are generated, reflection on their value to the individual or others, and the development of chosen ideas and concepts from thought to reality.

FPPL to be included in this lesson 
(check all that apply):
 Learning ultimately supports the well-being of the self, the family, the community, the land, the spirits, and the ancestors.  Learning is holistic, reflexive, reflective, experiential, and relational (focused on connectedness, on reciprocal relationships, and a sense of place).  Learning involves recognizing the consequences of one’s actions. Learning involves generational roles and responsibilities. Learning recognizes the role of Indigenous knowledge. Learning is embedded in memory, history, and story. Learning involves patience and time.  Learning requires exploration of one’s identity. Learning involves recognizing that some knowledge is sacred and only shared with permission and/or in certain situations.By understanding that every student is different and allowing time and patience when teaching and allowing the students a safe space to make mistakes and learn.
  • BIG IDEAS

Designs grow out of natural curiosity.Skills can be developed through play.Technologies are tools that extend human capabilities.
  • LEARNING STANDARDS/INTENTIONS

Choose an idea to pursue. Use trial and error to make changes, solve problems, or incorporate new ideas from self or others.Use materials, tools, and technologies in a safe manner in both physical and digital environments.Students will gain personal and collective responsibility associated with creating, experiencing, or sharing in a safe learning environment.
  • ASSESSMENT PLAN

How will students demonstrate their learning or achieve the learning intentions? How will the evidence be documented and shared? Mention any opportunities for feedback, self-assessment, peer assessment and teacher assessment. What tools, structures, or rubrics will you use to assess student learning (e.g., Performance Standard Quick Scale)? Will the assessments be formative, summative, or both?
Students will be assessed formatively, I will use observation to see who is trying their best, who understands the directions, and who is having fun.
  • DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS

Key resources: Instructional Design Map

Assisting students who struggle with fine motor/offering encouragement/helping them find solutions.
I will provide the marshmallows and toothpicks.  
  • LESSON OUTLINE
OPENING:e.g., greeting students, sharing intentions, look back at what was learned, look ahead to what will be learning, use of a hook, motivator, or other introduction to engage students and activate thinking and prior knowledge·  At the carpet, I will tell the students we have a fun building activity to do this fine motor lesson.·  We are using marshmallows and toothpicks to build shapes!·  I will go over safety expectations. No poking yourself or other classmates with the toothpicks. No eating marshmallows that have fallen on the floor or ones that have been played with by other students. 5 mins.
BODY:· Best order of activities to maximize learning — each task moves students towards learning intentions· Students are interacting with new ideas, actively constructing knowledge and understanding, and given opportunities to practice, apply, or share learning, ask questions and get feedback· Teacher uses learning resources and strategic opportunities for guided practice, direct instruction, and/or modelling· Can include: transitions, sample questions, student choices, assessment notes (formative or otherwise), and other applications of design considerations·  I will give a demonstration on how to put the toothpicks and marshmallows together so they stick to form a shape.·  Once the demonstration is finished and students ask any questions they have I will send students to the tables.·  I will have 4 toothpicks and 4 marshmallows per student ready to see what shape they can build with that number of supplies. They can share their design with me or other classmates. Â·  Once I see everyone build a shape with 4, I will give them 2 more toothpicks and marshmallows for a total of 6, and see what shape they can build with that. Students don’t have to use all of the materials provided to make their shapes.·  Next, I will hand out the rest of the materials to the students and allow them time to be creative and see what different shapes they can come up with and have them share their ideas with a buddy. Â·  Throughout the lesson I will remind students to be safe with the materials and that it is okay to make mistakes or if something doesn’t turn out how they imagined it, sometimes something amazing can come from it.20 mins.
CLOSING:· Closure tasks or plans to gather, solidify, deepen or reflect on the learning·  review or summary if applicable· anticipate what’s next in learning· â€śhousekeeping” items (e.g., due dates, next day requirements·  I will let students know how much time we have left until clean up.·  Students will be given about 3 minutes to clean.5 mins.
  • REFLECTION (anticipate if possible)
After lesson reflection: Students had a blast doing this lesson! 1 or 2 of the students still really struggle with fine motor so I wanted something that would challenge all students but was still achievable for those who are working on improving their skills. The nice thing is that you can stick the toothpick anywhere in the marshmallow and it will hold. They were very happy when I told them that I had extra marshmallows for them to eat after the activity, as the ones that they are using to build are dirty from being dropped, touching the tables, in the cups I handed out with the materials needed. I had an extra teacher that comes in Friday after lunch to help with anything we need so it was nice having him help hand out the supplies as we went through the lesson.I should have demonstrated more shape designs for the students to try, and had them pre-made to help save time. Though showing the students that we only have 3 toothpicks and marshmallows to start, showing them, and asking what shape we could make with only that number was fun and got them thinking.  

2nd Language Lesson Plan

DRAFT LESSON PLAN (REVISED 2021)

Candidate’s name: Lisa Seymour                                                           

Grade/Class/Subject:K/2nd LanguageSchool:Cassie Hall
Date:2023Allotted Time:20 mins. 10:05 – 10:25 am
Topic/Title:2nd Language/Alphabet
  1. LESSON ORIENTATION

Key resources: Instructional Design Map

Students will continue to gain more understanding about the alphabet through American Sign Language.
  • CORE COMPETENCIES

Core /Sub-Core Competencies 
(check all that apply):
  COMMUNICATION – Communicating  COMMUNICATION – Collaborating   THINKING – Creative Thinking  THINKING – Critical Thinking  THINKING – Reflective Thinking  PERSONAL AND SOCIAL – Personal Awareness and Responsibility  PERSONAL AND SOCIAL – Positive Personal and Cultural Identity   PERSONAL AND SOCIAL – Social Awareness and ResponsibilityCommunicating provides a bridge between peoples’ learning, their personal and social identity, and the world in which they interact.

FPPL to be included in this lesson 
(check all that apply):
 Learning ultimately supports the well-being of the self, the family, the community, the land, the spirits, and the ancestors.  Learning is holistic, reflexive, reflective, experiential, and relational (focused on connectedness, on reciprocal relationships, and a sense of place).  Learning involves recognizing the consequences of one’s actions. Learning involves generational roles and responsibilities. Learning recognizes the role of Indigenous knowledge. Learning is embedded in memory, history, and story. Learning involves patience and time.  Learning requires exploration of one’s identity. Learning involves recognizing that some knowledge is sacred and only shared with permission and/or in certain situations.By understanding that every student is different and allowing flexibility when playing games and teaching with patience.
  • BIG IDEAS

Non-verbal cues contribute meaning to language. Reciprocal communication is possible with gestures. Playing with language helps us discover how language works.
  • LEARNING STANDARDS/INTENTIONS

Recognize the relationships between gestures, common facial expressions and meaning.Participate in simple interactions.Respond to simple commands and instructions.Students will learn; manual alphabet, and ASL as a natural language. 
  • ASSESSMENT PLAN

Students will be assessed formatively, I will use observation to see who is trying their best, who understands the directions and who learns the alphabet.
  • DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS

Key resources: Instructional Design Map

I will use a variety of methods to help students learn the alphabet, including visual cue cards, saying the letter, giving an example of a word/object that starts with that letter, and signing the letter. 
I will bring the flashcards that will be used in the lesson.
  • LESSON OUTLINE
OPENING:e.g., greeting students, sharing intentions, look back at what was learned, look ahead to what will be learning, use of a hook, motivator, or other introduction to engage students and activate thinking and prior knowledge·  Students will be in their assigned literacy groups and will come to my center to learn the alphabet in ASL at the carpet.·  I will ask if any students know what sign language is? Let them guess, then explain that ASL means American Sign Language and it is a way of communicating with deaf or hard-of-hearing people and others who know it instead of speaking English.·  Let students know they will be using their dominant hand (the one they write with).3 mins.
BODY:· Best order of activities to maximize learning — each task moves students towards learning intentions· Students are interacting with new ideas, actively constructing knowledge and understanding, and given opportunities to practice, apply, or share learning, ask questions and get feedback· Teacher uses learning resources and strategic opportunities for guided practice, direct instruction, and/or modelling· Can include: transitions, sample questions, student choices, assessment notes (formative or otherwise), and other applications of design considerations·  I will introduce the alphabet signs. Â·  Start with saying the letter and showing the letter on the flash card. Â·  Then I will show the sign on the other side of the card. Â·  Then demonstrate it to the students. Â·  Next, I will have them try doing the sign themselves.·  To help reinforce what we learned we will sing the ASL Alphabet Song “See it, say it, sign it” by Jack Hartmann “A, a, this is the letter a”, etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjmKJKG5Nx0·  If there is time left over, I will show the students 2 additional signs. The first is asking to use the bathroom or “toilet”. They will make the sign for the letter “T” make a fist and stick their thumb between the index and middle finger, then twist their wrist twice and students will wait until the teacher or adult nods or shakes their head (says yes or no).·  The next sign is for the students to ask for help, they hold their left palm facing up at chest height, and with their right hand they make the thumbs-up sign and place it on their left palm then lift up.15 mins.
CLOSING:· Closure tasks or plans to gather, solidify, deepen or reflect on the learning·  review or summary if applicable· anticipate what’s next in learning· â€śhousekeeping” items (e.g., due dates, next day requirements·  Let students know we only have 2 minutes left and which station or adult they are doing with next and review what sign language is.2 mins.
  • REFLECTION (anticipate if possible)
During this lesson instead of going through the whole alphabet, we went through each student in every group and learned the sign for the first letter in their name. Then for the group that catches on faster, we were able to go through the whole alphabet and had a poster set up so students can go look and learn how to sign the letters in their name. They had so much fun with this lesson and I did too, one of the students in the middle group even taught me and the group how to sign “I love you”.

Art Lesson Plan

DRAFT LESSON PLAN (REVISED 2021)

Candidate’s name: Lisa Seymour                                                           

Grade/Class/Subject:K/ArtSchool:Cassie Hall
Date:2023Allotted Time:30 mins. 
Topic/Title:Art/Line Art
  1. LESSON ORIENTATION

Key resources: Instructional Design Map

This lesson is to allow students to use creativity in a safe environment with a fun holiday theme.
  • CORE COMPETENCIES

Core /Sub-Core Competencies 
(check all that apply):

FPPL to be included in this lesson 
(check all that apply):
  • BIG IDEAS

Engagement in the arts creates opportunities for inquiry through purposeful play.People create art to express who they are as individuals and community.
  • LEARNING STANDARDS/INTENTIONS

Explore artistic expressions of themselves and community through creative processes.Create artistic works collaboratively and as an individual, using ideas inspired by imagination, inquiry, experimentation, and purposeful play.Personal and collective responsibility associated with creating, experiencing, or sharing in a safe learning environment.Visual arts: elements of design: line, shape, texture, colour; principles of design: pattern, repetition.
  • ASSESSMENT PLAN

• DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS

Key resources: Instructional Design Map

Doing a guided art lesson so that everyone is at the same steps, those who are done the steps early can help other students who need some assistance.
I will provide the paint, paper, scissors, pencils, and markers. 
  • LESSON OUTLINE
OPENING:e.g., greeting students, sharing intentions, look back at what was learned, look ahead to what will be learning, use of a hook, motivator, or other introduction to engage students and activate thinking and prior knowledge·  At the carpet, I will tell the students we have a fun Easter Art activity to do in this class. Â·  The lesson will be guided and students are expected to follow along step by step. If they finish a step quickly, they are able to see if someone at their table needs help.5 mins.
BODY:· Best order of activities to maximize learning — each task moves students towards learning intentions· Students are interacting with new ideas, actively constructing knowledge and understanding, and given opportunities to practice, apply, or share learning, ask questions and get feedback· Teacher uses learning resources and strategic opportunities for guided practice, direct instruction, and/or modelling· Can include: transitions, sample questions, student choices, assessment notes (formative or otherwise), and other applications of design considerations·  I will send the students who are sitting quietly and listening to pick a spot at the table first, hopping like a bunny (Easter themed), with a piece of coloured paper and pencil.·  Once all of the students are sitting at the table, I will begin the lesson.·  First students will fold the coloured paper in half-length wise.·  Starting at the top of the paper, students will use a pencil to draw half the egg shape, making the egg narrower at the top and wider and a little flat at the bottom.·  Then draw the exact same thing on the other side of the egg, students should try to keep them the same/equal.·  Next students will be drawing different lines to decorate the egg, starting from the top to the bottom of their egg. Students should have a minimum of 5 lines, each a different line. I.e., coiled, zig-zag, hatched, parallel, wave, cloud, dots, street line, etc. Ask students if they can think of any other line ideas?·  Use a black marker for the outline of the egg and a different colour marker for each line in the egg.·  Then pick 2 paint colours and put a couple of dollops of each paint on ONE half of the paper. Â·  Then carefully fold the paper on itself and blend and smooth the paper 4 times, then peek and see what happens!·  Then, students will cut out shapes for the eyes and mouth from black construction paper and stick them on the wet paper.·  Let dry, paint acts as glue, then cut out the egg.·  Bonus: glue the egg to a different coloured sheet of construction paper.20 mins.
  • REFLECTION (anticipate if possible)
After-lesson reflection: Art is always a crazy time and students have a blast with it!

Math Lesson Plan

DRAFT LESSON PLAN (REVISED 2021)

Candidate’s name: Lisa Seymour                                                           

Grade/Class/Subject:K/MathSchool:Cassie Hall
Date:February 23rd, 2023Allotted Time:20 mins. 11:30-11:50 am
Topic/Title:Math/Measurement
  1. LESSON ORIENTATION

Key resources: Instructional Design Map

Students will be continuing with non-standard measurement, measuring length, width, and height.
  • CORE COMPETENCIES

Core /Sub-Core Competencies 
(check all that apply):
  COMMUNICATION – Communicating  COMMUNICATION – Collaborating   THINKING – Creative Thinking  THINKING – Critical Thinking  THINKING – Reflective Thinking  PERSONAL AND SOCIAL – Personal Awareness and Responsibility  PERSONAL AND SOCIAL – Positive Personal and Cultural Identity   PERSONAL AND SOCIAL – Social Awareness and ResponsibilityStudents will use creative thinking, involving the generation of ideas and concepts that are novel and innovative in the context in which they are generated, reflection on their value to the individual or others, and the development of chosen ideas and concepts from thought to reality. 

FPPL to be included in this lesson 
(check all that apply):
 Learning ultimately supports the well-being of the self, the family, the community, the land, the spirits, and the ancestors.  Learning is holistic, reflexive, reflective, experiential, and relational (focused on connectedness, on reciprocal relationships, and a sense of place).  Learning involves recognizing the consequences of one’s actions. Learning involves generational roles and responsibilities. Learning recognizes the role of Indigenous knowledge. Learning is embedded in memory, history, and story. Learning involves patience and time.  Learning requires exploration of one’s identity. Learning involves recognizing that some knowledge is sacred and only shared with permission and/or in certain situations.Patience and allowing time when teaching, not all students work at the same pace or understand concepts at the same time.
  • BIG IDEAS

Objects have attributes that can be described, measured, and compared. 
  • LEARNING STANDARDS/INTENTIONS

Demonstrate and apply mental math strategies.Understanding the importance of using a baseline for direct comparison in linear measurement.Linear height, width, length (e.g., longer than, shorter than, taller than, wider than). 
  • ASSESSMENT PLAN

Students will be assessed formatively, demonstrating their understanding by showing me an object that is the same length as their linking chain set and explaining how they used the four rules of measurement or telling me the number of chains they have.
  • DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS

Key resources: Instructional Design Map

Allowing students time and re-explaining instructions or methods as needed. Buddying up students who need some extra help with students who are patient and grasping the activity. 
I will provide linking chains for each of the students. 
  • LESSON OUTLINE
OPENING:e.g., greeting students, sharing intentions, look back at what was learned, look ahead to what will be learning, use of a hook, motivator, or other introduction to engage students and activate thinking and prior knowledge·  Review “Rules of Measurement” poster with the students.·  Demonstrate measuring an object with linking chains and getting students to help me measure using the rules. https://www.google.ca/search?q=non+standard+measurement+for+length+width+and+height&client=safari&channel=iphone_bm&sxsrf=AJOqlzVVgjToefCyayK-yY-HtggXi9t4Mg:1677125152069&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwin_bqH4qr9AhVCHzQIHXBYCzsQ_AUoA3oECAEQBQ&biw=1376&bih=794&dpr=2#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:4ad1149d,vid:_szqDL3N0H48 mins.
BODY:· Best order of activities to maximize learning — each task moves students towards learning intentions· Students are interacting with new ideas, actively constructing knowledge and understanding, and given opportunities to practice, apply, or share learning, ask questions and get feedback· Teacher uses learning resources and strategic opportunities for guided practice, direct instruction, and/or modelling· Can include: transitions, sample questions, student choices, assessment notes (formative or otherwise), and other applications of design considerations·  For the activity, I will tell the students that I will be giving them linking chains and they have to go around the classroom to measure various objects, like the tables they work at, filing cabinet, a chair, a fellow student, etc. Â·  If their chain links are not the right length it will be up to them to attach more or take some away to get the right measurement. That way they get practice and work on their fine motor.·  Students will show me where they start their measurement and where they end it and how many linking chains they are using roughly.·  I will go around the room and help students as needed.10 mins.
CLOSING:· Closure tasks or plans to gather, solidify, deepen or reflect on the learning·  review or summary if applicable· anticipate what’s next in learning· â€śhousekeeping” items (e.g., due dates, next day requirements·  Let students know how much time is left in class.·  Ask if students have any questions before we wrap up.  2 mins.
  • REFLECTION (anticipate if possible)
After-lesson reflection: This lesson went over well, the students seem to really enjoy this unit, I believe because so much of it is hands-on. Every lesson I include a manipulative, review, and during the lesson part I ask a few students to help me with the demonstrations to keep them engaged and focused. Using a short video to reinforce the ideas that I just taught them helps solidify the concept with them and they do not have many follow-up questions during their activity, when they ask for my attention it is to show how well they are doing. What I should have done was go over some safety or proper ways of using the linking chains. Most were using them correctly and safely but some of the more active students started to swing their linking chains around above their heads or wear them around their necks and step on them almost tripping. With only 20 minutes for math the rest of the week besides Monday it still takes me a little bit to be aware of time management. I want to be able to go with the flow and follow where the students questions lead but be aware that there are lots of other things we need to do in our day. 

Samples of Worksheets, Materials Used in Lessons

A worksheet from our Science Matter Unit, cut and paste activity. For early finishers, they get to colour the page.
A poster we used when learning about the properties of Matter.
This is a printable book I used to introduce non-standard measurement to Kindergarten students.